A Lisboeta's Blog

The Goer From Lisboa!

Monday, September 05, 2005

The Boys are back in town

I have decided to name this entry in honour of the man on Hastings green who was singing the above summer classic really badly out of tune and at the top of his voice.

I got the impression that he just seems to stand there most days singing very loudly and shuffling from one foot to another providing entertainment for the passers by.

It was a bautifully hot day today and I had the feeling that this signalled the end of the British Summer 2005. Hastings is such a beautiful place and if you ever get the chance to visit it and the surrounding area then you must. It seems to me that the only reason it has stayed relatively unexpanded is because it has a pebbly beach instead of sand. This means that the sunbathing potential is somewhat reduced, although this did not deter many harcore sunbathers such as myself.

I find British seaside towns odly depressing, there is something melancholy about the arcades and the funfairs and all I have to imagine is them in the depths of winter and I get a chill down my spine.Thankfully the weather was too bloody hot to dwell on such depressing thoughts and instead I behaved like a proper tourist, I ate welks from a little van, caught the lift to the top for a gorgeous view over Hastings and ate fish and chips with mushy peas and swilled that down with a proper cup of tea....ahhhhh!

So I guess I should explain the reference to 'Lisboeta' in my blog title? Well the term "Lisboeta' denotes someone from Lisbon, ok, ok, so I was born in Winchester, which incidentally would make me a 'Wintonian'. But I have only lived there for about three years. I lived in Lisbon for eight years so can I call myself a 'Lisboeta' or should I call myself an 'Albanian' because I have lived in St Albans for thirteen years? You know what it really doesn't matter, this all getting too complicated for my liking, call me what you like - but be nice!!

Second Portuguese lesson - 'Eu estou queimada'. Translation 'I am burnt'. For that is what I am.

Yours, La Scania xx

1 Comments:

At 1:10 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

and I will call you blonde because that is what you are

 

Post a Comment

<< Home